1800 724 407
Tips for keeping cool this summer
January 10th, 2018 · No Comments · News
Summer is finally here in Australia and many people are scurrying to keep cool this season. Keeping cool is not just about staying comfortable, it can also help prevent many heat related illnesses. Moreover, our harsh summer sun can also cause melanoma-based skin cancer. As such, it is very important that you keep yourself cool and protect your health this summer.
Fortunately, there are more than a few ways to beat the heat and stay cool. Continue reading this post as I list some effective tips that’ll help you stay cool and fresh all-season long.
- Replace polyester, silk and satin fabrics with cotton or linen. Cotton and linen are two of the most lightweight and breathable fabrics which promote amazing airflow. Replace your bedsheets with cotton or polyester for relaxed and comfortable sleep during summers.
- Wear loose clothing, preferably in light colour. Soft cotton shirts, shorts or even undervests will keep you cool and comfortable when you’re out.
- Keep indoors during the hottest times of the day. Here in Australia, the summer sun is the strongest between 11am-3pm. By keeping yourself indoors during this time, you can avoid the hottest part of a summer day.
- Shade your backyard. If you’re fond of outdoor entertaining, then you should consider installing an outdoor umbrella in your courtyard or backyard. Outdoor umbrellas will effectively block out the sun and keep you cool while you entertain.
- Installing one of our DIY shade sails over your pool. Shade sails made of heavy duty fabrics will protect you from the heat as well as the sun’s UV rays. We can even customize a shade sail in a range of designs and colours to make it visually appealing.
- Eat smaller meals during summer. It is a scientifically proven fact that our bodies generate more heat when processing larger meals. So, eat as light as possible this season and save your heavy meals for colder days.
- Ensure to keep yourself well hydrated. The harsh Australian summer heat causes excessive sweating which can easily lead to dehydration, exhaustion and heat strokes. Drink plenty of water throughout the day – this will also instantly help you feel relaxed.
- Stay low, stay cool! Everyone knows that hot air rises. So, by staying low when sleeping or by heading downstairs, you can escape the heat to some extent.
- Keep the air flowing in your house even if you’re using an air conditioner. Fans can help circulate air, which will keep you cooler and fresher.
- Keep the sun out of your home to lower the indoor temperature. You can do this very easily by installing our outdoor blinds in areas of your home that are exposed to sunlight.
There are several ways you can keep cool during summer. Replace your synthetic fabrics with cotton or linen. Choose loose clothing in light shades and keep yourself indoors during the hottest times of the day. If you want to entertain outdoors, make sure to install a shade sail or an outdoor umbrella in your yard. Eat smaller meals, keep yourself well hydrated and try to spend as much time downstairs as possible. Keep the air flowing within your home with indoor fans and keep the sunshine out of your home with outdoor blinds. These tips will effectively help you beat the Australian heat and have an enjoyable summer.
And, to purchase our shade solutions to keep yourself cool this season, please reach out to us at Global Shade.